New Taxation Burdens are Coming
In my last article I referenced news of the new regulatory environment within which Canadian wineries will soon operate following the World Trade Organization’s ruling regarding taxation practices. The new rules will put pressure on our domestic wineries, many of which may risk their very survival as they try to adapt.
In his article looking back on a 20-year career in the Canadian wine industry, Del Rollo, Vice President of Industry and Government Relations for industry giant Arterra Wines Canada, also referenced this crucial moment for our domestic wine business. He and his peers are hard at work to advocate for the type of support and recognition from our government that other, more mature global markets like the EU, can count on. In the meantime, what can wineries do today to give themselves a fighting chance?
Strategies to Build Stronger Winery Teams Right Now
This is the first of three articles that will offer actionable leadership strategies and best practices for wineries to strengthen their teams so they are even better equipped to weather the storm of change that’s about to hit our shores – and any challenge for that matter, large or small.
TRUST is Numero Uno for Team-building!
The first element I want to discuss is the bedrock foundation of any relationship: TRUST!
Wineries have now reopened, with new safety protocols in place and possibly some uncertainty or even anxiety about the future. If you can create an environment of authentic, vulnerability-based trust and address what your team members are thinking and feeling, you’ll find that your team will be more efficient, collaborative, customer-focused and solution-oriented – and not to mention, happier!
Inspired by the Five Behaviors of a Cohesive Team™, here are five strategies for you to grow the level of trust within your team right now.
- Transparency – Be candid and let your colleagues know what’s going on behind the scenes (within reason), even when it’s difficult.
- Vulnerability – Get to know each other better as human beings, and although it might be uncomfortable at first, try to open up about where you’re coming from or how you’re feeling.
- Sincerity – Make sure your actions align with your words, and your dedication to your team members is heartfelt, because they can tell when it isn’t.
- Authenticity – Always stay true to yourself and your values while still being conscientious of others’ needs.
- Empathy – Remember that we all make mistakes or have bad days and strive to be understanding even when your instinct is to challenge or dismiss.
Looking for More Strategies to help Improve your Teamwork?
There are plenty of team models and strategies out there to help improve teamwork. One of the best known, most widely-researched, and proven is The Five Behaviors of a Cohesive Team™. If you would like to know more about The Five Behaviors model and how you can leverage it to unleash the power of teamwork, let me know and I’ll be glad to register you for one of our upcoming complimentary virtual showcases on Tuesday September 15 or Tuesday October 13, 2020, 10:00 am to 11:00 am PST.
In this virtual showcase, you will:
- Learn about the powerful and unique Five Behaviors model, its groundbreaking approach to team development, and how it can be leveraged to unlock the power of teamwork in your organization at all levels
- Preview The Five Behaviors Personal Development solution
- Receive a complimentary Personal Development assessment and personalized profile
Good luck implementing some (or ALL!) of these trust-building strategies with your team! I’d love to hear how it works out and what outcomes you’ve seen after trying them out. Contact me to share your story!
If you’re dealing with urgent team-dynamic issues that you need help or advice with, you can book a call to discuss possible solutions right away.